About the Ride
WHAT IS RIDE DON’T HIDE?
Ride Don’t Hide is the largest mental health bike ride in Canada.
Over nine years, thousands of people rode millions of kilometres and raised millions of dollars for community mental health.
Ride Don’t Hide 2021 is your ride, your way. In June 2021, thousands of riders across Canada will come together to ride outside, ride inside or ride in spirit to raise money for mental health in their own communities.
Come ride and raise funds, no matter where you call home.
Ride Don’t Hide isn’t a race to the finish, it’s a nationwide movement for mental health.
And it’s needed now more than ever.
So many people don’t feel like themselves these days, and the pandemic is making it harder to get the help they need.
Even before the pandemic, Canada’s mental health system was failing. And failing badly. Every year, 1.6 million Canadians didn’t get the mental health care they needed. The pandemic has only made things worse with isolation, economic insecurity and stress all taking their toll on our mental health.
Ride to get back to yourself. Raise funds to get one more person the help they need.
RIDE FOR YOU
Sometimes we feel pressure to be something that we’re not. To act like we’re ok when really, we’re just not. Life is better when you can be yourself. The Ride Don’t Hide movement is a place where you can be exactly who you are.
Ride Don’t Hide is a welcoming, inclusive event that brings together friends, families and community members to move more, give back and feel better.
- Science tells us that moving your body through aerobic activities like running, jogging, cycling or brisk walking can improve psychological well-being.
- Exercise improves mental health by reducing anxiety, depression and negative mood and by improving self-esteem and cognitive function.
- Set your own goal, move your body in your own way, and improve your physical and mental health!
- Loneliness is as bad for your health as smoking. Ride Don’t Hide brings together teams, families, friends, workplaces and communities to connect and rally around the most important cause of our times, and our lives.
- People who help others have greater self-esteem, less depression and lower stress levels than those who don’t.
- As a participant, you’ll get tips, tools, tricks and activities to help you take care of your own mental health, even while you’re taking care of others.
- Ride Don’t Hide riders are some of the most passionate, dedicated and courageous mental health advocates in the country. Join us!
RIDE FOR YOUR COMMUNITY
Canada’s universal health care system. We are proud of it and rightly so. But when it comes to mental health, it is not universal at all. The waitlists are dangerously long and so much just isn’t covered, like the services of addiction counsellors, psychologists, social workers and specialized peer support workers.
Mental health is something to protect, something we can strengthen. It’s not just something we can lose. And when people receive the right services and supports, mental illness doesn’t take hold. At CMHA we are working to get people the help they need, while reducing pressure on a health care system that has been hit so hard by COVID-19. And we are working to keep people mentally healthy in the first place.
With 87 branches, regions and divisions in over 330 communities, CMHA is the most established and extensive community mental health organization in Canada and a national leader in community-based mental health care.
Ride Don’t Hide to raise funds for mental health in your community. Raise $330 to get one more person the help they need.
Funds from Ride Don’t Hide go directly to your community to serve local needs. All community-based mental health services are designed to get people the help they need, when and where they need it. These services may include counselling, coaching, peer support and outreach, and suicide prevention, as well as other programs that are designed to meet basic mental health needs.
Find your community to learn more about how Ride Don’t Hide helps in your neighbourhood.